As Dr Seuss says oh the things you will see

Well my freinds this is a crazy and screwed up world we live in . And as i spend my working life as a long haul driver i get to see a side of the world most of you cant see. I see all the citys in North America from the back side. Not the pretty side you see on tv but the real city hiding in the back streets and industrial parks. The true underbelly of the place what i like to call the swub. That means the soft white underbelly. So come along and see our world and the many characters that are hiding in plain site on your highways and roads. my fellow drivers and the supporting staff that keeps them going.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

What happened to me?

Well tonight is a Saturday night and I've spent the last two hours staring into the dark and fog on a two lane road. Trying to spot moose and deer before I run into them. And it occurred to me that at one point in my life that a Saturday night used to mean something to me. When did it change? when did I stop looking forward to tonight? I came of age in the 1980's and I can remember getting gussied up and slapping on my Polo cologne and heading out with my army buddies to swoon the ladies. It never worked the night always ended with a bunch of drunks in the White Castle drive thru with an irate cab driver. But youthful optimism always had us out there the next weekend thinking our charms would work this time. So at some point that changed but when? Yes I grew up got married and had children and responsibility's. But what doesn't explain where my youthful optimism went.                                                   

In all reality I cannot dance and never could. But once upon a time I used to be pretty good at the white man overbite. That's dancing in place while pumping your arm while bobbing your head. trust me it was big in the 80s. I wish I could reclaim the love of Saturday night. No not those nights of long ago. No not them. But a love of Saturday now. I could take my wife for a drink and do a little white man overbite. I am sure it will still have the erotic power it had years ago.The only difference is she is married to me so she will have to go home with me. So no more White Castle for me. Maybe its not to late maybe the middle aged man I see in the mirror should stop acting his age. After all we only live once.

No comments:

Post a Comment